Sunday, February 7, 2010

Goal Revision




I used to smoke. Back in the day, it was cool and almost everyone smoked. My parents, my friends, co-workers . . . everyone.

Then, one day, people no longer smoked. Except me.

The first time I tried to quit, I didn't make it. Should I have given up?

Giving up on goals that are important is not smart. Continuing to try—and find a way to make them happen—is.

Here's the thing with those New Year's resolutions:

they need revision.


I had three items on my 2010 Goals page that involved a January 31st completion date. I have yet to complete those three things.

So, what can I do?

  • I can ban the written list to someplace sight unseen and pretend they really didn't matter and I'll get to them sooner or later anyway. I've done this in the past.

  • I can erase all evidence they ever existed (except some secret place on my hard drive). I've also done this in the past.

  • Or, I can get real and revise them.

Revised goals do not equate to diminished goals. I repeat: Revised goals do not equate to diminished goals.

So today, I'm reviewing my 2010 Goals and evaluating my progress. A little over one month in? Yep. I need to keep trying.

By the way, I quit smoking on Christmas Eve. 1985.



CR: Heat Lightning by John Sandford.

It's all better with friends.


5 comments:

  1. Now that's really weird, Peg. THIS Peg quit smoking on Christmas Eve one year later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were in sinc!

    My husband bought me a beautiful ring that Christmas. I wrapped up what was left of my carton of cigarettes and that was hie gift. My question to him was would I have to give the ring back if I started smoking again.

    I still dream about it sometimes . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sympathize, Peg. I smoked two packs a day for twenty years, then quit cold in 1969. (You understand, of course, that I'm not that old: I started smoking before I was born.)I made it on the third try. My family, with sadly shaking heads, still remembers the process. But they've forgiven me. At any rate, hooray for all of us that have made it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me, too. I quit smoking on January 1st, 1982. I had one of those really bad flu bugs and the smell and taste of cigarettes were revolting. When I got well, I decided that was the best chance I'd ever have to just not start smoking again. I'd even have dreams where I had a cigarette close to my mouth and I'd wake up just in time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my smoking dreams, I'm actually smoking. And quitting. And smoking. And quitting.

    It's tiresome.

    ReplyDelete