Monday, February 22, 2010

Unfit Writer

I began the read-through of my manuscript this morning.

After I did umpteen-zillion other little things to avoid beginning the read-through of my manuscript this morning.

Get my angst?

I'm marking it up from the very first page and I can't decide if that's bad or good.

It seems like a read-through ought to be the last little thing you do on your list. That final checkmark that says you've reviewed all systems and everything's a go. The almost unnecessary step to appease the insurance company and the lawyers, and assure the passengers that there's very little chance the plane will crash.

OMG. My plane is gonna crash.



CR: The Seige by Stephen White.

It's all better with friends.

5 comments:

  1. Your plane won't crash, Peg—because you're smart enough to go through your pilot's checklist and fix what needs fixing before the plane leaves the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually read through yesterday's pages at the start of every work day. So they are fairly polished prose-wise by the end. However, I am always left with major structural changes in successive drafts. For that I haven't found a better method than leaving it in a drawer for a while--months is best--getting reads from trustys, and ultimately feedback from my agent, even editors if we are on sub.

    Don't worry, Pam. It all has to get done sometimes, so you might as well go at it when you have the impulse. The more times you read your ms, the better you will make it...until you don't :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I actually write don't worry, PAM?? I was just writing an email before this to my friend Pam. Brain dead. See what editing does to you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peg, Peg, Peg, Peg, Peg...

    Just don't call me Lenny ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, Jenny.Don't worry about it. My maiden name was Ham. For some odd reason, I got called Pam a lot. I answer to just about anything.

    Susan, I love your faith in me. Sometimes it's actually well placed.

    I did figure out something crafty and kinda cool. I'm planning on blogging on it next. One of those aha! moments that made me feel like a maturing writer.

    ReplyDelete