Friday, March 26, 2010

Elizabeth Gilbert's Creativity Partner

Is it all up to you, or do you have a little help when you put those words on the screen, or the notepad, or peck them out on your IBM Selectric or Royal typewriter?

For people who have a strong faith, there's little doubt that when they achieve success—it wasn't all their own doing. Life's a little easier, except maybe the failure parts.

For people who are convinced they make their own success or failure there's an enormous amount of pressure.

Elizabeth Gilbert speaks here about how she's approaching her work following the amazing success of Eat, Pray, Love. I was impressed with her ability to speak in an almost casual manner, without notes, to the audience. She reminded me, in some ways, of my friend Kelly Irvin, who has been around this blog now for a while.

I love the idea of just showing up to do my job. The rest either comes or it doesn't. But at least I'm doing my part.

The video is almost 20 minutes, so you might want to save this for a later look. But do come back. Watch it, and let me know what you think.






CR: Under the Dome by Stephen King. The word was that this book was in the same amazing style as The Stand, which is one of my all-time favorites. The word was right. I just wish I would've bought this on Kindle. Leaving for a trip in about a week and this thing weighs a ton.

It's all better with friends.

1 comment:

  1. I'm bookmarking this video to come back and watch tomorrow. I wish I had time to read Stephen King too, but I'm daunted by the length of his novels and the pile of books I've promised people I'll read.

    ReplyDelete