Friday, August 27, 2010

Flipping the Series

I hate when I get a series out of order.

For those of you who haven't read Timothy Hallinan yet, get yourselves in gear and start with A Nail Through the Heart. I've mentioned (in passing) the intriguing setting, the amazing writing, the deep characterization and the page-turning plot. What's left?

One thing.

I read Nail on my Kindle. For those of you who have acquired e-books, you may have noticed the formatting can pull you out of the story and either cause you to emit a few choice words, or at the very least, cause you to squeeze your eyes closed, apply fingertips to forehead and rub. Hard.

Just so you know, I have enough wrinkles and strange skin. I don't need to be doing that rubbing thing very often.

In addition to the master of Timothy Hallinan, I am giving immense kudos to Harper-Collins e-books for taking the time and trouble to format in a manner that never—not once—detracted my attention from the story. Except for the couple of times when I noticed how wonderful the reading experience was thanks to their efforts. They are to be congratulated for a job well-done. If only . . .

But now to that 'in order' thing. I was sitting out on my main deck, a glass of a wonderful red wine blend ready to enjoy, when events caused me to understand that what I thought was the second in the series is actually the third. And I've already ordered the hard-cover edition of the second (that I thought was the third) and it's making its long, non-Kindle, journey to me now.

Dang.



CR: Who knows. But I will have to find something.

It's all better with friends.

1 comment:

  1. It's a peeve of mine, too, Peg. I am reading THE BOXCAR CHILDREN with my daughter now, and we had to skip from #1 to #3 and ooh, am I upset. Sorry I can't get the second to you any faster--but I do invite you and your readers to read Tim's words about this series and about his career in general over at Suspense Your Disbelief! http://www.jennymilchman.com/blog/?p=924

    ReplyDelete