Monday, July 14, 2014

My Street Team is a Dead End

Okay, that's not really fair.

I never tried to form a Street Team, and I doubt if I ever will.

Wait! What's a Street Team, you ask? Basically, a Street Team is a group of people who help promote a product or a service... or a writer. For more information, here's what Wikipedia has to say: Click Here.

I was thinking about this today as I was posting something on Facebook about my friend Tim Hallinan's new book, Herbie's Game. I help promote Tim's books (and other writers I enjoy) because that's what I want to do, not because they've asked me to do so.

And not because I'm part of some kind of a team.

I'm so not a joiner.

I have some readers whose support I treasure (you know who you are), but I would never presume to make them part of a team. I see them as individuals, each of whom are capable of making my day. With most teams, there's one or two who assume the role of Captain.

I'm so not into Captains.

Am I losing some sales? Maybe a couple. I don't really know.

What I do know is that I'm much more comfortable with a bit more of one-on-one. Yeah, I'm hopeful in time that will be more difficult to handle, but I don't see it ever going away. At least I hope not.

If you're familiar with Street Teams, what's been your experience?

(And, by the way, if you're looking for a series with a truly unique crook, Tim's Junior Bender series is perfect.)


It's all better with friends.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard of street teams, but I've never considered one. The entire concept gives me the heebe jeebies for some reason. I love my readers and supporters, but I can't imagine organizing them! Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I are on the same page, Kait. I think of my readers and supporters as free-agents, able to go and like anything they chose. Fluid. They're behind me not out of any sort of obligation to a team, but rather the desire to be there, at least for this moment.

    ReplyDelete