Thursday, July 31, 2008

Dump & Bump

In between cleaning and cutlets, laundry and life, I've been working on the evaluation of my plot.

In the time honored tradition of suspense novelists everywhere, I've decided to kill someone. A character who had been alive and well will meet their fate and cease to exist. This is something we have over all other genres. Suspense writers can just knock someone off when they're not sure what to do at a given point in the story. Is that cool, or what?

I will dump some inane filler and bump up the action with a murder. Now all I have to do is come up with a sufficient motive so I know who killed the um . . . corpse. And make sure it all ties into my main plot.

I confess that in the Dark Hours I came up with something bizarre. Unreal. Unnatural. So over the top it could be completely perfect. But it scares me a little. Can I pull it off?

My quill is aquiver.



Currently reading: No Time for Goodbye (an intriguing premise, by the way) by Linwood Barclay

It's all better with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment