Friday, July 10, 2009

Mano a Mano

I had the wonderful opportunity to spend a couple of hours yesterday with Colleen Coble. She and her husband Dave were just finishing up an extended trip where they spent time with family in the Phoenix area, and did some research on Colleen's next book in northern California.

She was in Denver for a writer's conference and asked for someone to pick them up at the airport, take them to their hotel, and have a bite of lunch.

I jumped on that like white on rice, but it didn't dawn on me until later that Colleen could've taken a shuttle like most of the other writers, or a cab, or even a limo. Instead, she sought the opportunity to take the time to share a bit of herself, and fellowship with a fellow writer.

Isn't that cool?

I came away with a couple of insights that I'll share, but one was the idea of always looking to connect. It's not only a very human thing to do, but a very smart marketing move as well.

For some of us, isolation is natural, and maybe even preferred. We write in isolation. But it isn't how we should live our lives when we aren't writing.

When I'm a multi-published and multi-award winning author, I might pass on a limo to spend some time with someone who really, really, really wants to be in my light. (Unless of course, the limo driver also happens to be an aspiring author, and then everything's good.)


It's all better with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment