Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Repetitive Repetition







A friend of mine told me that after her first book was published, and she read it, she was mortified over the number of times she had used a certain phrase. One "bear of a man" would have been enough, but she found it three times.

The first time I recall seeing the description "fisted", I was instantly enamoured. The author used it once in that book. I know because once I fall in love with something, I don't fall out of love very easily. A subsequent book by the same author used the word three times. It bugged me.

Within the last couple of months, I read a book by a best-selling writer. It was actually my first by this novelist, and it won't be my last . . . but. "Fisted" appeared eight times in the book. Eight. Someone should take the editor by his or her editorial lapels and give them a good shake. That kind of repetition is unacceptable. Even a best-selling author deserves a little attention, don't you think?

There are certain words or phrases we get mesmerized by, and need to put on our Watch List.

Do you have any?



CR: Through the Cracks by Barbara Fister.

It's all better with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment