Friday, September 17, 2010

Writing Software





We've discussed this before, here. It's a topic that comes and goes, but never quite disappears. I don't think it ever will.

Frankly, when I first heard about writing software, I was appalled. It sounded like the supreme cheat. Talk about formulaic . . . blah, blah, blah. Convinced it would trample my creative side, I formed a cross with my fingers and backed away whenever the subject came up.

Then a writer I respect started talking about something called Scrivener and how much she loved it. Say what? I decided the fact that Scrivener was only available for Mac was a clear sign I was to stay away. Protect my honor. Save my soul.

Balderdash.

Many think I crossed over to the dark side when I became a Mac user. And guess what? I became a Mac user so I could get Scrivener. One of the best decisions I've made for my writing career.

A good writing program, like Scrivener, doesn't quell creativity. In fact, it gives you more freedom to make changes easily, store research, have notes accessible, see visually what's happening and has options for just about anything you can imagine.

There's another program I have that is available for both PC and Mac users. It's Snowflake Pro and one that I think will be invaluable in the initial aspects of developing my next project. Even though I had it in time for this current one, I experienced a total brain-freeze and didn't utilize it when I think it would have been the most useful. Sheesh.

Do you use writing software? If so, which one and what do you like most about it?



CR: The Fourth Watcher by Timothy Hallinan.

It's all better with friends.

2 comments:

  1. One of the things I admire about you as a writer, Peg, is how open you are--to your process, to others' processes, and to including whichever aspects will strengthen your work. I am so excited to hear about something new going on--and still really want to see the first one (in print, of course)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are equally open, Jenny. Must be why we've become friends.

    I know your manuscript is going to make some publisher happy they took a chance on you, but I might want to read just a snippet. Sooner. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete