Monday, November 29, 2010

Bruises




As a writer, I like things to be tense. I appreciate conflict and go out of my way to inflict damage. Interior and exterior bruises are the sweetness of fiction.

As a person, I like smooth sailing. No sharp corners. I don't run with scissors and I put plastic bags in places where they're hard to get to. Boring routine is something to be treasured.

A good friend of mine lost her father yesterday morning. He'd fallen the other day and fractured a hip. According to the doctors, he made it through surgery with flying colors. My friend was flying to San Francisco early yesterday to spend some time with him and spell her sister.

I don't know yet whether she got there in time to speak to him, or if he died while she was on her way. I would write it one way as a writer, and hope for it another way as someone who's trying to keep emotional bruises to a minimum.

Since this isn't part of a story, but real life, I pray for an ease for my friend. For comfort. For minimal bruising that can heal quickly. For solace.



CR: House Rules by Jodi Picoult. (And Shirley, I'm really liking it!)

It's all better with friends.

1 comment:

  1. Your friend has my sympathy. I hope she was able to say goodbye, but I do believe in the communion of saints, and that he will know.

    As a writer, I too would go the other way. You're right--conflict and problems make the character stronger and add tension.

    ReplyDelete