Monday, August 4, 2014

Scene Suck


Sometimes a scene doesn't do much of anything. Have you noticed? It doesn't provide any additional information about a character; it doesn't propel the story forward; it feels like filler.

How do you react when you read one of those scenes?


  • Do you even realize it at the time, or do you wonder later why that scene was in the story? 
  • Is it irrelevant to you?
  • Are you mildly disgruntled?
  • Are you over the top ticked-off and feel cheated?

I'm working on a scene now for my new book that I really want in the story. It does show some additional characterization but I think it needs to also do something for the plot. 

Without contrivance.

I've decided to give myself a day, two at the most, to see if I can dream up something that would work. If I can't, my single-mother detective isn't going to meet up with the new guy in town who's a volunteer firefighter as well as a professor at the local college.

Just sayin'.


It's all better with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment