Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Wednesday Wisdom for Writers and Those Who Love Them

"Writing a book is an adventure. To begin with it is a toy and an amusement. Then it becomes a mistress, then it becomes a master, then it becomes a tyrant. The last phase is that just as you are about to be reconciled to your servitude, you kill the monster and fling him to the public." —Winston Churchill

I wish I could clearly identify where I am with my manuscript. My goal is to have the first draft completed by the time you read this post.

And then there are the rounds of edits.

And then as gory and bloody as it sounds, I will kill the monster and fling him to the public. I'll try and let you know when to duck.


It's all better with friends.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting - so many people think they have a book waiting somewhere inside them just waiting to be freed. Or they think anyone can do what you do. I am not one of those people. I remain in awe of the sheer intestinal fortitude it takes to put a story together and follow it through to "The End." Looking forward to reading the current adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite part of writing is beginning the story. It's the only time the words really flow easily. From the second chapter on it's more struggle than joy. My second favorite part of writing are the revisions and edits designed to pull everythng together for a read that flows effortlessly. At least that's the goal.

      Thanks for taking the time to stop in!

      Delete