Sunday, November 15, 2015

A Difficult Decision

As a fiction writer, most of my decisions are easy and fun. I get to create everything about a story and have it go in whatever direction I want.

As an independently published writer, I also get to choose my editors, cover designer,  interior design, publication date, price, and avenues of promotion.

All fun stuff. Well, mostly.

I've been struggling with this current manuscript for a very long time. And right now it's no longer exciting me even though I love the characters. I'm not swept away by the story that's emerging in the fourth rewrite. Yes, fourth.

Writing friends I respect, including my editor, have been advising me for months to put it away and move on. The words "failure" and "unprofessional" and (let's be honest) "pride" kept me trying to find a way to make it work. Plus, I'd already paid for a cover.

Yesterday I heard the advice one more time and it somehow felt different. It went something like, "Yeah, just shelve it for now. It'll still be there later, plus you'll have the cover."

Winston Churchill said, "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."

So today I'm packing up my research notes and getting organized for the next story I want to write. In the meantime I'll trust it really is an issue with this manuscript and that I haven't lost my writing mojo.



It's all better with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment