Thursday, February 5, 2009

TLP

Talent, luck and persistence.

From Merriam-Webster's 11th Edition:

tal-ent : a special often creative or artistic aptitude

luck : to prosper or succeed esp. through chance or good fortune

per-sis-tent : existing for a long or longer than usual time or continuously . . .continuing or inclined to persist in a course . . . continuing to exist in spite of interference or treatment


Let's look at talent.

I'm not sure where my little dot lands on the creativity scale. I suspect it fluctuates quite a bit, but I know I have a little. I also know part of writing talent is skill development. It's a conscious self-education. And it's consciously getting over Self.

Talent is something that is developed. It's raw and rough and sometimes mixed in with a lot of other things. But unless I'm a prodigy (not) I have to take my little dot on the artistic slide and feed it.

Luck, on the other hand, isn't something I can control. But I can be ready if and when it comes knocking.

Luck comes in different forms and strengths. I'm an optimist, so I tend to think I'm lucky most days--if I just pay attention. But when it comes to writing? Not so much. Yet.

Which brings me to persistence. That word "continue" pokes itself into each of the descriptions. I figure it must be there for a reason.

The only people who fail at a dream are the ones who quit. Who no longer continue to pursue their dream.

A writer needs talent, luck, and persistence. You can make due with two out of the three, and the more you have of one, the less you need of the others. ~ Lars Eighner (who, by the way, was homeless. Twice.)

Continuing on . . .




CR: Dream House
by Valerie Laken


It's all better with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment