Saturday, March 28, 2009

Tossed Salad

A few This and That's for today.

First a question/rant. I thought Kindle prices were supposed to be lower than traditional book prices. I'm seeing more and more books in the $14+ range and although it's a bit of a "deflator", there are still plenty available at $9.99 and under.

But here's what caught my eye (ire):

What's Race Got to Do with It? by Larry Elder. I can get the paperback edition for $10.17 or, wait . . . pay more ($14.82) and get the Kindle edition. What's with that? Is it the publisher or Amazon poking me in the pocket book? Someone needs to take a Reality Pill.



A magazine for suspense writers and readers. And, it's going to offer print editions! Check out Suspense Magazine. There are interviews, stories and contests. A great blend of established authors and the new kids on the block. What a leg-up for someone ready for exposure. Like, um . . . me, for instance. Hmmm. . . .



Need a kick in the derriere? I couldn't help but think of Pavlov's dogs when I first saw this. This isn't my cuppa (my love language is affirmations) but it must work for some people. Or could be, it's just a diversion. Take a look at Dr. Wicked. Enter a word goal, a time goal, click on Write . . . then do it. If you stop writing, you will get a form of "encouragement." Mine involved a car horn.



Two good books in a row. I thoroughly enjoyed Afraid by Jack Kilborn. It's on the violent side, but extremely well written and engrossing. It comes out March 31st. It has a definite military twist, but I don't want to spoil the story by telling you more.

The second book has been out for a while. The first half of Lazarus Waking by T.L. Hines was mildly interesting. I mean, a guy who dies three times and comes back to life is bound to be intriguing, right? But Hines ratchets up the second half and I ended up staying up until 1 o'clock in the morning to finish it.




The novelist daily at his task eats ashes, and if occasionally he encounters a diamond he is likely to break a tooth on it.
~JOHN BANVILLE





CR: Daniel's Den by Brandt Dodson.

It's all better with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment