Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Post-Holiday Fog

I'm having a bit of trouble getting refocused. From November through the first week in January, we go from one celebration to the next. All of them important. All of them filled with love. All of them mentally staggering in their consumption of available attention.

Half of me loves to be carefree and willing to take off on the spur of the moment. The other part of me needs structure. Routine, and a good schedule, go a long way in helping me stay disciplined and focused. Disciplined and focused helps me feel good about what I've accomplished at the end of the day.

So. Part of my post-holiday plan (and I'm including everything post-Christmas) has to be making a schedule to get back on track.

What about you? Do you have trouble refocusing? What tricks do you use to get back where you want to be?




CR: The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz.

It's all better with friends.

2 comments:

  1. My trick is to get so sick that I can't wait to get back to writing!
    No, not really. But, that actually crossed my mind this year.
    I'm still trying to focus. Will ... cough ... get... there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, please don't get sick. Ugh. Throw that idea right out of your mind. There has to be a better way.

    I think, in addition to a SCHEDULE (and being a 'Good Girl" I always follow the rules/schedule), just sitting my butt down and putting my hands on the keyboard will be a good cue. That old idea of BICHOK. Just get going. Even if I need to throw 90% of it out the next day, there'll be at least 10% worth keeping. 30% if I employ Girl Math.

    ReplyDelete