Thursday, December 30, 2010

An Uncommonly Delicious Book


Every once in a while, I run across a book that's uncommonly delicious, and I want to tell you about it.



I began reading Least Wanted by Debbi Mack yesterday afternoon. I would have finished it last night but my eyes got tired. I finished it this morning.





This is Mack's second novel featuring attorney Sam McRae, and I liked it. A lot. She took risks with this one. Any time an author tries to reproduce dialect, there's a challenge. Mack does it well in this book. Least Wanted takes on some topics most writers would steer clear of, but she handles them with just the right amount of reality and compassion, without dwelling in judgement.

It's an e-book, and for a grand total of 99 cents, you have hours of solid entertainment. There is no better deal.

If you haven't discovered it already, not all e-books are created equal. The technology to format and keep the editing solid is still getting the kinks worked out. (And between you and me, I'm pretty sure there's a slew of e-books out there that haven't met an editor who knew what she was doing.)

Mack delivers it all. A great story, developing characters, excellent writing and an e-book experience that sets the bar.

For those of you who received a Kindle for Christmas, treat yourself to a Mack for the New Year.



CR: Secrets to Die For by L.J. Sellers

It's all better with friends.

7 comments:

  1. Debbi is a terrific writer. Now I have to try her new one. I hope you're enjoying Secrets to Die For too.
    L.J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. L.J., you're going to enjoy LEAST WANTED. And you are also an amazing writer. It's so good to see Jackson again in SECRETS TO DIE FOR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, talk about taking on tough topics! That's what you've done, L.J., with each book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a tremendous book, and Debbi's right up there on my new favorite writers list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I did get a kindle... Thanks for the recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As soon as my new Kindle arrives (tomorrow, I hope), I'll get it. I have one of hers on my wish list now. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tim, I've got a couple of yours on my Kindle that I'm excited to get to. When I finally got around to reading A NAIL THROUGH THE HEART, I kicked myself for not reading it sooner. And the whole series. And more Hallinan, and old Hallinan and new Hallinan.

    Sheila, you'll have to let me know what you think. Debbi is not a CBA author, and she doesnt' shy away from showing people dead-on. I find her honest approach refreshing.

    Ellis (and Sheila) even my husband is surprised at how much he's enjoying his Kindle. If you're like me, you'll be reading more, and buying more. It's just EASIER.

    ReplyDelete