Monday, January 17, 2011

Random Thoughts

My current non-fiction reading is The War of Art by Steven Pressfield.

Here are a few quotes from the book and my randomness:

There's a secret that real writers know that wannabe writers don't, and the secret is this: It's not the writing part that's hard. What's hard is the sitting down to write.

What keeps us from sitting down is Resistance.


When I've been away for a bit, it's like I forget everything. Skill, creativity, the feeling of accomplishment. What in the world was I thinking? Just because I was able to write a cohesive sentence the last time I sat my butt in this chair, put my hands on these keys, why do I think there is even a remote chance of a repeat performance?

If you believe in God (and I do) you must declare Resistance evil, for it prevents us from achieving the life God intended when He endowed each of us with our own unique genius.

I'm pretty sure, as I read through this book, I will find out that Doubt is an associate of Resistance.

And, just in case I've had a particularly good day when Resistance and Doubt have been sufficiently conquered?

Pressfield writes under the heading RESISTANCE NEVER SLEEPS:

The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.

Great. Just great.




CR: The Four Last Things by Timothy Hallinan.

It's all better with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment